Sunday, November 9, 2008

No going back

With the clocks changing the last weekend I've noticed that the reversing lights on the Beast aren't working. As it's got heavily tinted windows in the rear it's vary hard to see where I'm going. This morning I checked the bulbs and they are fine a quick google and my attention turned to the Neutral Safety Switch. This is mounted on the gearbox and tells the car to start only when it's in Park or Neutral. It also houses the reversing lights switch. It's a b****r to get to as the drive shaft to the front axle is right in the way. I eventually managed to get the connector off and hot wired it to check that both the rear lights did work. The part I need is only $20 but I suspect I'm going to need another $50 worth of tools (deep socket and UJ adaptor) to get the thing out. We'll find out either Tuesday or at the weekend. Tuesday is Veterans' Day so we all get the day off. It seems strange having a public holiday midweek but I'm not going to turn it down.

I'm also thinking of putting a lift kit on the Beast too. I've not discussed it with Mrs P yet tho'. I'm thinking a mild 2" lift using the budget boosters method. If I go any bigger then it starts getting messing with long arm kits and other tricks to keep the steering geometry somewhere in line.

Last week I came off probation at work so I'm a fully fledged County employee now and at the beginning of December I'm off to school for a week to learn how they do property appraisals.