Sunday, May 18, 2008

Handy man

This weekend has been incredibly busy.

So far this weekend I've done the following DIY jobs:

  • finished off making my workbench complete with power sockets (pics to follow)

  • installed a new garbage disposal system (pics to follow)

  • installed a new shelf in the cupboard under the sink

  • boarded part of the attic floor (this wasn't fun as it was 80F outside and the temperature in the attic was another 10-15 degrees hotter. I was sweating buckets and went through 2 t-shirts)

I've also shifted several boxes of books and other stuff up into the attic.

Mrs P entered her first triathlon this morning and left the house at "stupid o'clock". The kids and I travelled down at a more reasonable 8:45 to watch her finish. It was only a small race but ideal for her first try, she was first in her age group too. Her friend Rachael (who's persuaded her into these events) was the first woman home too. Well done to both of them! Now she wants a proper road bike but we've no where to store it in the house and if we leave it outside it will rust in minutes.

Mrs P also turned up with a new surfboard this week which she got a bargain on at $75. It needs a bit of work as the deck has started to delaminate from the center of the board. I'm on the case and I'm reliably informed that if I inject some fibreglass resin in the gap and then put a heavy weight on it it will fix it perfectly. I've bought the resin and a seasoning injector (see below) and will try a Re-Animator style operation. I need to get this done some time this week as it's Memorial Day next monday and we've all got the day off work. Time to hit the beach and start surfing.