Monday, March 26, 2012

You nod and I'll hit it

New radiator arrived and brought with it more troubles. Because it's a bigger radiator the inlet and outlets aren't in the same place as the original 19" one so I've been trying to find the correct hoses. Further research shows that the radiator is in fact designed for the 70-73 Dart and the 68-73 Valiant so I've ordered an upper and lower hose that look like they may fit. Rockauto show 15 different upper and 7 different lower hoses so it's anyones guess what will work.

With work on the car at a halt I took the opportunity to install a new cat door in the garage. The easiest option would be to put it in the (fiberglass) garage doors but this also looks the worst. Best option is through the concrete block wall to the side and nicely out of sight. The wall is 8" thick, however the blocks are hollow center and look like the ones below so I figure it'd be pretty easy to drill all around the perimeter of the hole and then smash it out with a club hammer and chisel.


What I didn't bargain on was the hollow centers being backfilled with concrete, and this stuff is even harder than the block. Took me a full day to drill and hammer out a hole 9 inches square and it cost me 2 blisters and purple thumb where I missed the chisel and whacked it. Another half day to line the hole with plywood and repair the mortar and the job is all but complete. Those cats better appreciate it.