Monday, April 16, 2012

Deepwater Horizon

The garage floor is awash with transmission fluid! I managed to crack one of the transmission cooler lines while trying to "persuade" it to line up with the new (thicker) radiator. I didn't realise this until I started the car and reversed it out of the garage. I've bought a short 20" length of 5/16" OD steel line and some brass fittings so hopefully I can bend and shape it replace the busted section. Ideally I'd replace the entire line but at $75 for the preformed set I'll have to pass on that for the time being.

As you may have infered from the above the engine is back together and the car is now running. It took a while as the fuel had drained back into the tank and before the mechanical pump could draw it through to the carb the battery had gone flat. An overnight recharge and a turkey baster full of gas to prime the carb bowl and we were good to go. Not sure I've got the electric choke set up correctly but it idled well once it was good and warm.

I flushed the block thoroughly by removing the thermostat and reinstalling the housing then I disconected the upper hose from the radiator and stuffed a hose pipe into the rad opening. Turn on the water and start the car and use the upper hose to direct the "waste" water away from the fan. After a few minutes the water should start to run clear and the old antifreeze and old accumulated crud is flushed out.

In other news we've just returned from 11 days in the "old country" and I've developed a fascination with 80's Turbo cars including the Mitsubishi Starion/Chrysler Conquest, XR4Ti and Dodge Charger. I want turbo lag and I want it...............now!