Monday, April 30, 2012

Running on Empty

The Dart is back on the road again! After a long warm up and short test ride the motor quit and wouldn't restart. This necessitated a push back into the garage for diagnosis. I was kinda hoping that the ignition system or some part of it had failed so that I could justify an electronic ignition upgrade to Mrs P. However it turns out that it had just run out of gas and a quick trip to the gas station soon put this right.

Tried to then take it out for a spin but hadn't realized just how much fluid had leaked out of the transmission. I got maybe 400 yards out of the neighborhood on the main highway when the trans started to slip and then not shift into top gear. Limped home and stuck a quart of trans oil in and then another and another and it's still not on the full mark. It does however drive now and shift fine but I'll top it off soon enough. Now that the exhaust is quiet I can hear that it needs the tappets done except no-one here has a clue what I'm talking about when I say that so I'll call it a valve adjustment. Likewise they've never heard of a rocker cover and rockers are in fact the sills. So not only am I trying to find long obsolete parts but they don't even speak the right language.

I still have a hankering for an XR4Ti and they are dirt cheap too