Thursday, March 8, 2012

Stud maker

Had a great day in the garage and started with installing the new studs. Degreased the holes and mounting face with brake cleaner and dried them with compressed air. Applied some thread sealant to the stud threads (as the open into the water jacket) and screwed them in hand tight. Using the double nut method I tightened the studs so that they are nice and secure. Yeah I know that rocker cover needs some work that's next on the list once I've got the car back together.


On to the exhaust manifold next. I couldn't get any suitable studs for the choke pocket, I needed 1/4"-28 on both ends but it wasn't to be had anywhere. Best I could find was a 1/4" - 28 bolt that was only part threaded. I cut the head off and attempted to use a die to thread the other end. Unfortunately the bolt was grade 8 material and was too tough. I kept slipping in my vice no matter how hard I tightened the handle. Gave up and went to Plan 'B' which was to make my own from 1/4" steel rod. This proved easier than first imagined and the super long studs can be seen below. I'll trim them off once I know how long they need to be.


Finally the block off plate. I ended using a piece of 2" wide 3/16" flat steel bar to make the block off plate. First attempt was pretty dire and managed to make a complete mess of the second cut so had to junk it. I blamed this on being hungry and a ham and mustard sandwich soon had me back on track. Second attempt went much better, I made a new template and then using a combination of angle grinder, Dremel 4000, hand file and emery cloth I made the new plate. I'll spray it up to match the exhaust manifold so it will blend in a bit better.