Wednesday, October 8, 2008

haemorrhaging green

Well I've "dropped" over $2000 today, the Beast is in the garage having the intake gasket replaced, along with a new water pump, thermostat and associated pipework. They called this morning and said that the high and low pressure pipes on the power steering were leaking too and needed replacing. Total bill so far is just under $1700 and 3 days without a car. They also said the rear axle is noisy (which I knew) and that the diff needs rebuilding.....I thought (or should that be hoped) that it was just the wheel bearings as that's a job I can do. Diffs are another matter altogether but if it fails then its a new back end and that's $1800 just for the parts! I'll have to wait a month or two until I get some more cash saved up to get this job done.

Went to Jacksonville after work today to get a new pair of specs as my current frames are broken. I've got vision insurance through work which pays for 80% up to $250. Seeing as my eye exam cost me about $100 I had $150 to put towards them. Trouble is once I found a pair and had them priced up with decent lenses they came to $600. Bizarrely enough it was cheaper for me not to claim on the insurance but take up the instore offer of 50% off lenses. I escaped from there having spent just over $400. So there you have it in a few short hours I'd spent over $2000 getting stuff repaired or replacing broken things....thank God it's payday tomorrow!

In other news we turned the AC off at the weekend and now have all the windows open day and night. It still gets a bit sweaty in the evenings and at night tho' so the fans are on.