Thursday, August 13, 2009

Well construction begins...

Actually I only got as far as pre-cutting the lumber and didn't get that completed as I used up my 3 batteries in the circular saw pretty quickly. The pressure treated lumber is very dense and pretty wet so cutting it requires "mucho" power from the batteries and they drain pretty quickly. And because they got so hot I can't recharge them until they cool down. Here's a pic of my work area in the garage, some lengths of 2 x 4 as a cutting platform, a strip of carpet to protect the knees and a can of Bud to keep the spirits up.

If you're wondering about the tenon saw it's because my circular maxes out at a 2" cut (and I'm not sure it really cuts that deep) and anything slightly over this requires some hand intervention.


I've got another problem too, I used the list of required lumber on the website and it's different from that contained in the construction manual. I'm supposed to use 5/4" x 6" for the roof but the website said use 2" x 6" and this is what I've already bought. I can't face taking it back so the roof will be solidly constructed and possibly a little top heavy.