Saturday, July 18, 2009

Brake in the weather

Less than an hour after I finished replacing the brake rotors and pads, a massive thunderstorm has rolled through town. I had sweat pouring off me while I was doing the work and now it's black as night outside.

The brake job was no problem and picked up all the parts for $130 but I had to order a new sway bar link bolt from the stealership and it won't be in until Thursday. In the mean time I went to the local hardware store and grabbed an M12 bolt, a couple of washers and a nut so that I could get the Beast on the road. Only one other problem to note; as I removed the drivers side inner brake pad from the caliper I noticed that the piston has a chip in the rim. As I picked at it a piece of the piston came away. Luckily it didn't extend into the caliper itself so it shouldn't leak but it looks like metal fatigue so I'll order a new caliper as a precaution. I certainly don't want to have to stop suddenly and have the piston crumble.

On a different note Mrs P is back running and entered the Bridge of Lions 5k this morning. Start time was 0730 so we all went along and I took the 3 girls and waited at the finish line. Mrs P came home in 25 minutes and was 4th in her age group. Not bad for someone who had a baby 5 months ago. Well done Mrs P