Saturday, October 8, 2011

If a job's worth doing then do it twice

Turns out there was a leak from the front distribution block, however I was unable to get a spanner on it in such a position that I could tighten it so I had to remove all the other ones and start over. ! managed to tighten it on the bench and then reassembled. Rebled the brakes and touchwood there's no leaks this time.

Also turns out that my soldering technique needs a bit of work. I didn't remove the circuit boards when I soldered on the wires and when I poked the wires through the holes left by removing the pins I left too much exposed. This caused a several shorts with the case below and the dash behaved very strangley when I reconnected it all. Once I trimmed the excess wires the dash lights, indicator lights and high beam lights started working correctly.

The fuel gauge is not working at present but that could be the sender, I need to test it further.

 When I first bought the car it would start but wouldn't idle and the man I bought it off said he'd driven it on to his trailer. Once the dash was back together and the brakes finally reassembled it was time to fire up the engine. To my teeth gnashing the car failed to catch, it turned over fine but wouldn't start. I removed the spark plug and theuy were sooted up but aside from that looked in good overall condition. I cleaned them up and then checked they did indeed spark. One thing I did note was that they had been installed with the crush washer. Apparenty this isn't needed in early Slant 6 engine as it moves the spark further away from the optimum combustion point. I regapped the plugs to 0.035" as they were a little on the tight side and reinstalled them, however the car still wouldn't start.

I bought some Easy Start and squirted that down the carb, and the car did catch but stalled straight away. Time to break down the carb.... rebuild kit ordered and a couple of cans of squirty carb cleaner bought too.



Oh and my parents have been over for that past 3 weeks and my Dad has been assisting me in the garage.