Thursday, September 15, 2011

Illuminating

Headlights and tail lights are now working. The floor mounted dimmer switch was seized solid and the headlight switch on the dash had seen better days too. The local auto store carried both parts in stock and for less than $30 I replaced both switches.
I've removed the windscreen wiper switch and it was also seized (are you sensing a theme here??? I guess that's what happens when you leave a car standing for several years). A quick squirt with some PB Blaster  (much better at freeing rusty parts that WD40) and some judicious vise action and it's freed up a bit. Whether it works is another matter. You can't get new ones and have to rely on NOS or used parts and both are pretty pricey.
Brakes are coming along, the first set of new parts arrived this week including new front hydraulic hoses and wheel cylinders. I've ordered some new steel 3/16" brake line and a couple of bending tools and expect that to arrive tomorrow. Meanwhile I've started stripping the rear brakes and I'll get the order in for the new parts this weekend too.